Friday 4 October 2013

Review: Devious Maids

Review: Devious Maids, Deviously Good! 

This post 100% contains spoilers.

Photo from: http://www.playmakeronline.com/2013/06/24/review-devious-maids-pilot/
Devious Maids is a new show which premiered on the Lifetime channel in America this year. And honestly it's fabulous. With dominant female leads, a murder mystery and of course plenty of secrets and the backdrop of the lavish Beverly Hills life, this show is a perfect mix of drama, comedy and mystery.

There was, well, is a little bit of controversy around this show with many stating it as playing on traditional stereotypes of Latin women on television/ American society. However, I don't truly agree with this. I think the humour, the smarts and passion of the women portray them as wonderfully intelligent, unique characters.

Now the female leads include: Marisol Suarez, Zoila Diaz, Valentina Diaz, Carmen Luna, Rosie Falta. Five fantastically bold women who absolutely just dominate this show and truly what make it so appealing to women and men around the globe.

The entire series is based around the question: "Who killed Flora?" The first thing I love about this, is that well obviously it sparks your curiosity but two the fact that they actually revealed who killed Flora within the first season! This is something rare for television *cough* *cough* Pretty Little Liars *cough* How I Met Your Mother *cough*. However, this also does make me wonder where the series will go next season. Will it further explore the characters lives? Will Marisol return to her job as a college professor? This begs the question of whether the murderer (I won't say who because I don't really want to spoil it for y'all) is actually the murderer, but I don't see who else it could possible be. 

Now, when it comes to the female characters I would have to say Carmen (Roselyn Sanchez) is one of my favourites. She's vivacious, sexy and her voice is just plain breathtaking. However, she does annoy me at times in the way that she constantly places her career over the opportunity of love with Sam (Wole Parks). The season finale put her in an interesting position of becoming Alejandro's (Matt Cedano) wife, this is one storyline I can't wait to see play out!

Next is Zoila (Judy Reyes), who sometimes can bug me for her "I don't give no shits attitude", but she truly has a lot of love in her heart, particularly for her daughter Valentina (Edy Ganem). The relationship between Zoila and Valentina perfectly portrays the mother daughter dynamic. I think it truly captures the essence of most mother- daughter relationships. The beautiful Valentina is in love with Remi Delatoure (Drew Van Acker), son of Genieve Delatoure (Susan Lucci), Zoila and Valentina's employer. So her mother does not approve. At all, also because she too fell in love with a rich dude who turned out to be an A-grade douchebag and broke her heart. I can see why she wants to protect her daughter but Remi and Valentina are so lovely together, and so everyone's so torn between Zoila's concern and Valentina's love.

Now, let's discuss Rosie Falta (Dania Ramirez), a beautiful young women whose son is in Mexico whilst she works in America for the Westmore's. From the start it is evident Rosie just wants her son to be with her, but she does not have the means to bring him here. However, her employers Peri (Mariana Klaveno) and Spence Westmore (Grant Show) do, but aren't exactly offering up there services- just yet. Spence and Rosie fall in love and agree to get married, but then Peri brings back Rosie's son and then Rosie's all like, "No Spence. I can't do that to Mrs. Peri." and so the wedding is off. But then the wedding is back on once Spence agrees to adopt Rosie's son and gives a speech about love, happiness and all that jazz. However, Peri finds out and is pretty shattered (I mean who wouldn't be, but she is kind of a cow) and then goes on to ruin there chances of getting married.

Last but definitely not least is Marisol Duarte (Ana Ortiz whom I love because she played Hilda in my all time favourite show Ugly Betty). She's is the mother of Flora's accused killer, Eddie (Eddie Hassell) and is going undercover as a maid to find evidence to prove her son's innocence. She works for the Stappord's and occasionally for the extremely creepy and perverted Powell's. She's actually a college professor and is extremely bright, clever and bold (maybe a little too bold) but at the end of the day she does prove her son is innocent!

So I absolutely adore this show! I can't wait till the next season comes out! And as for the most devious character I would probably have to say: Adrian Powell (Tom Irwin) who is just so laced with creep that I honestly just don't even want to know what goes on in that scheming brain of his. As for the most devious maid I would have to say Marisol. But technically she's not actually a maid, which I guess in turn makes her the most devious.  

-Sinia (GO WATCH THIS SHOW PEEPS. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. THE ONLY THING YOU'LL REGRET IS HOW IT WILL TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE).

No comments:

Post a Comment