Tuesday 8 October 2013

Sleepy Hollow- Season 1, Episode 2

*Spoilers ahead

Ok let’s acknowledge the demon in the room. Yeah the really creepy one with ram’s horn’s, a limp, and who speaks less than fluent ancient Greek. So we were first introduced to him in the first episode where we found out that he (it?... I’m assuming it’s male) appeared to the Mills sisters in the woods when they were kids. Abbie keeps her mouth shut about it and tries to run away from the truth while her sister Jenny spills it and ends up being institutionalised. Thus setting up a rather interesting sibling dynamic that’ll be explored later in the series. Let the claws come out ladies… or perhaps not. There’s already enough violence as it is.

So this demon, the same one that killed Officer Andy Brooks (played by John Cho), then brings him back. What? Yeah I dunno. I think he only snapped off Andy’s neck in the first place cause he pissed him off. Look out y’all we got a crazy-ass beeyotch of a demon (with a mad case of PMS) on the loose. As if we didn’t have enough people losing their heads cause of the headless horseman (who himself is without a head). I feel like “death” is not gonna be a big thing in this series with all the resurrections going on. But I gotta say the whole neck snapping back into place was kinda gross to watch. Especially with the excess skin after the fact. Anyhoo… speaking of resurrections, we find out that there is a purpose for Andy’s resurrection… and that is to assist with the resurrection of Serilda of Abadon (who is/was a high priestess belonging to the dark coven of witches). Yeah there’s a lot of resurrections…. and beheadings. I told you this show was going to be good.

So anyway, Andy and Serilda have until the turn of the blood moon to get the ashes of the descendants of the men who had her burned at the stake for witchcraft and sorcery. And of course Abbie and Ichabod have to stop them. With a lot of snarky banter as they do. Oh and an amazing snark-off between Ichabod and Abbie’s ex Luke. That 15 seconds was almost worth more than the rest of the entire episode for me. I say almost because the best part was without a doubt watching Ichabod shirtless in his motel room trying to figure out the intricacies of modern technology (with helpful sticky notes from Abbie… awww). 


Although I am truly irked by the fact there wasn't more shirtless-ness.


So Ichabbie end up blowing Serilda up within the tunnels beneath the police station before she gets to complete her resurrection. And centuries old gunpowder may or may not have been used in the process. What did I learn from all this? That gunpowder doesn't have an expiry date.


To end on a high note, Abbie is visited by the spirit of Sheriff Corbin who tells her to not be afraid of “49”. Methinks this has something to do with the elusive Jenny Mills… mmm okay I lie. I only know cause I've already watched the third episode.


Also Major NEWS!! I just found out that after only 3 episodes since the premiere, FOX has decided to renew the series for a second season!! Excitement! This is truly momentous, and I can only think that it is because of how big the fandom has become in such an extremely short amount of time. And I’m sure the outstanding ratings helped convince them a bit. Whatever it was, I couldn't be more relieved or elated. Keep it coming, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment